Montmorency County, Michigan

Websites related to the county including public schools, Chamber of Commerces, services and county history links click here....

Newspapers covering Montmorency County click here

Official State of Michigan Web Site click here

onestop

PARCEL INFORMATION: Research parcel information, Geospatial Information and other County records through the Montmorency County online web service. Click here.

GIS Mapping Information: Accessible through Equalization Department. Available Maps: County, Sections, Townships and Parcels.

Michigan State Police click here

U.S. and State Representatives click here


map

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Montmorency County sits in the northeastern portion of Michigan's lower peninsula, bounded on the east by Alpena County, on the north by Presque Isle County, on the west by Otsego County and on the the south by Oscoda County. There are 352, 019 acres in the county or 547.6 square miles of land. With 248 lakes and reservoirs, the county has 14.8 square miles of water surface. Eighty-six percent of the land has forest cover with the economy being supported by forestry and agricultural industries as well as tourism and several manufacturing plants. Montmorency County's estimated population was 10,478 in 2006.


MONTMORENCY COUNTY HISTORY

     Prior to Michigan statehood in 1837, the land that would become Montmorency County was part of the Great Lakes Region, Indiana Territory. In 1805, when Michigan was organized, the territorial governor created Wayne County which included the present Montmorency County. As treaties were signed and land ceded by the natives to the federal government, new counties formed, and in 1818, the present-day Montmorency County was part of Michilimackinac County.

homestead In 1837 after Michigan attained statehood, Henry  Schoolcraft surveyed the state's northern property  and proposed twenty-nine northern counties as  well as their names; many of these names were  later adopted by the state legislature in 1840.  When the county was organized April 1, 1840, it  was known as Cheonoquet County after a  Chippewa Chief who took part in Indian treaties in  1807, 1815, 1825 and 1837.

 Renamed Montmorency County on March 8, 1843,  it was originally spelled montmorenci, and  historians conjecture this reflects the area's French-Canadian influence: the French Duke of Montmorency purchased a lieutenant governship in Canada and the first archbishop of Canada--Montmorency-Laval--both could be influences on the county's name.   Montmorency was one of the last two Michigan counties to be officially approved by the state legislature in 1880 when it split from Alpena County. Its official year of establishment is 1881. Montmorency originally had three townships: Briley, Montmorency and Rust with the town of Brush Creek (now Hillman) being the county seat. Today, three towns comprise Montmorency County: Atlanta, becoming the county seat in 1893, Hillman, the only incorporated village, and Lewiston, a resort community; eight townships represent Montmorency's governmental units: Albert, Avery, Briley, Hillman, Loud, Montmorency, Rust, Vienna.   MORE. . .

| Contact Us | ©2013 Montmorency County, Michigan