Election results from the Atlanta and Johannesburg-Lewiston Area Schools
Special Election held 11/3/15


The County Clerk is responsible for preparing and proofreading the ballots for elections held in Montmorency County. The clerk/office staff is available on election nights to receive and tally the unofficial totals and then file with the State the certified election results after the Board of Canvassers has certified the election.

The County Clerk directs recall and recount activities in the county and is responsible for precinct election worker training.

Nominating petitions and campaign finance materials can be obtained from the Clerk's office for citizens who wish to run for a public office. The filing of petitions and campaign finance reports are filed in compliance with the state.
For more information on elections see the State website


Albert Township
Judy Athan, Township Clerk, 989-786-2513, Albert Township Hall, 4360 Hansen, Lewiston, MI 49756

Avery Township
Ann M. Seymour, Township Clerk, 989-785-3929, Avery Township Hall ( 989-785-3278), 11010 McMurphy Road Atlanta, MI. 49709

Briley Township
Mary Jo Whitmire, Township Clerk, 989-785-4050, Briley Township Hall, 11331 West Street, Atlanta, MI 49709

Hillman Township
Pamela J. Achatz, Township Clerk, 989-742-4558, Hillman Township Hall (989-742-3096), 24220 Veterans Memorial Highway, Hillman, MI. 49746

Loud Township
Kari Klein, Township Clerk, 989-785-2284, Loud Township Hall (989-785-3263) , 3882 M-33 Atlanta, MI. 49709

Montmorency Township
Connie Brandt, Township Clerk, 989-742-3619

Rust Township
Carleen Klein, Township Clerk, 989-306-0164, Rust Township Hall (989-742-3535), 23390 Cohoon Road Hillman, MI. 49746

Vienna Township
Elaine Dixon, Township Clerk, 989-786-3160, Vienna Township Hall (989-786-2884) , 2734 M-32 Johannesburg, MI. 49751


What is the difference between a primary and general election? A primary election is held by the political parties to select their nominees for the offices to be elected at the general election. In a primary, Republicans run against Republicans, and Democrats run against other Democrats. In a primary, you can vote for only one party (no split ticket). A general election is between party nominees and any candidates without political party affiliation; the general election determines which candidate will occupy the office that is up for election. Statewide ballot proposals also appear on the general election ballot.

Who may register to vote? A U.S. citizen, at least eighteen (18) years old by Election Day and a resident of Michigan and the city or township where applying to vote.

When do I need to register by? You may register at any time, but to vote in an upcoming election, you must be registered at least thirty (30) days prior to the election.

Do I have to register for each election? No, as long as you continue to reside in the city or township that you are registered in, your registration is permanent.

Where can I register? At any Secretary of State branch office, your city or township clerk's office, the County Clerk's office, any Department of Human Services office, at a specified District Health office or by mail.

What happens if I move? You should immediately notify the clerk of your city or township of your new residence if you move within your city or township of residence. If you move outside of your city or township, you must re-register at your new address.


When can I vote by absentee ballot? You can vote by an absentee ballot if you are sixty (60) years of age or more, expect to be absent from the community in which you are a registered voter for the entire time the polls are open, unable to go to the polls because of religious beliefs, are confined to jail or prison awaiting arraignment or trial, or have been appointed as an election inspector in a precinct other than where you are registered to vote. You can also receive an absentee ballot if you are unable to get to the polls without the assistance of another person.

How do I receive an absentee ballot? You can obtain an absent voter ballot by writing to the clerk of the city or township in which you are a registered voter. You must include in your request: Your name, the date of the election, the address where you are registered, the reason why you are requesting an absentee ballot and the address where to send the ballot (this must be your registration address, an address outside of your jurisdiction, a hospital or some other residential institution). Be sure to include your signature and date. Members of the armed forces and military dependents, and U.S. citizens temporarily living outside of the U.S. have several options to obtain an absent voter ballot. Click here for instructions.

What is the application deadline to receive an absentee ballot? The latest to apply for an absentee ballot is on the Saturday preceding the election and returned no later than 8:00 P.M. on election day to the city or township clerk's office.


Where do I vote? Your voter ID card will list the polling place or you may call your city, township or county clerk. Or check online at

When are the polls open? The polls are opened from 7 A.M. to 8 P.M. on Election Day.

How do I vote?

    1. You sign an Application to Vote.
    2. An election inspector checks your name against a poll list of registered voters.
    3. Provide photo identification (or sign affidavit).
    4. You vote: Montmorency County uses the Accu-Vote system. The candidates will be listed on the ballot with blank ovals to the right of their names. Indicate your selection by completely filling in the oval next to your candidate's name. If you wish to write in a candidate's name, you may write-in the name in the space provided under the heading listing the office, you must also fill in the oval next to the write-in's name.
    5. After completing your ballot, proceed to the tabulator, insert your ballot, the tabulator will scan and validate your vote. Should you have any problems, contact an election worker.

May I receive assistance when voting? Yes, any elector may request voting assistance from the precinct worker without stating a reason. Two precinct workers (1 from each political party) will assist you. If you need assistance because you are blind, disabled, or unable to read or write, anyone (except your employer, an agent of your employer or an officer or agent of your union) can give you assistance.

May I take campaign literature into the polling place? Yes, as long as the articles are for your personal use and you do not distribute or display them to others, be sure not to leave any material in the polling place.

Is campaigning allowed on Election Day? Yes, as long as it is done at least 100 feet from any door used by voters to enter or exit the building in which the polls are located.

ELECTION WEB SITES: (View ballots, Get a map showing polling locations, Check voter registration status, Locate the address of your local County Clerk's Office); Michigan Secretary of State ( Michigan voter registration application, Secretary of State Voter Information Center, Help America Vote Act (HAVA), Election results, Other information regarding elections in Michigan)

Back to Top

Updated 3/11/16